Christmas in October

Last week I bought Ezra a little fake Christmas tree to put up in his room this year. I thought it would be really cute to have a tree that he could decorate all by himself with self made ornaments. I remember as a child making "salt dough" ornaments in pre-school so I thought that would be perfect for Ezra since he loves to paint. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a box of cookie cutters, salt, flour, and acrylic paints (next time I'd forgo the "kid safe" paint and just get regular acrylic paint b/c it was too thin for the dough and took multiple coats). I know it's early in the year to be making Christmas ornaments but it was beautiful outside so I knew it'd be less messy to paint outdoors :)
In the end I wound up getting into it much more then Ezra. He loved pouring and mixing the ingredients, and cutting out shapes but after that he was ready to move on to something else. Maybe next year he'll be more receptive :)





Before you judge (just kidding) our counter was the only place large enough to do this project on and I was standing in front of Ezzy the whole time.


Cutting out these shapes was much more difficult then I thought. I'd never cut shapes into anything before so I was totally surprised at how much flour I'd need to keep it from staying sticky. Eventually I sort of gave up which is why we ended up with so few ornaments ;)


As you can see this is a MESSY endeavor, but sooo much fun!


Straight out of the oven:


The finished products:
I made these guys and Michael did the LA Tech ornament and the LSU ornament.





Ezra was in a foul mood when he woke up so he hasn't painted any of his own yet, I'll post those once he's all shiny and happy again :)

Comments

Popular Posts